Hemp products have a ton of benefits. One of the best ways to reap the goodness is through edibles. The most popular of which is the pot brownie. Not only are brownies delicious, but the chocolate in the brownie covers up the bitterness of the pot. When baking this treat, it is essential to use the right hemp products to get the effect you want.
To determine how much pot to put in your brownie recipe, you need to know its THC potency. If this information is unavailable from the seller and you cannot find it in a database or website, use the estimation of 10% THC.
To find the right amount of pot you need for your brownies, start by determining the dry-weight amount of THC in the cannabis needed for your recipe.
To find the THC per serving, take the dry-weight amount of THC, and divide it by the recipe yield. Also, keep in mind that each gram of cannabis has 1,000 milligrams of THC dry weight.
To calculate THC potency, take the total dry weight of the pot you plan to use in the recipe and multiply it by the potency percentage.
Using pot-infused butter is the best way to ensure you get the right THC potency in your brownies. To make cannabutter, begin by grinding up your pot in the grinder or coffee grinder. Grind it as many times as needed until it turns into powder.
- Fill a large pot with water
- Put a smaller pot inside the larger one
- Place 2-3 sticks of butter in the smaller pot
- Simmer on medium-low for 2-3 hours
- Stir every half hour with a wooden spoon
When the butter is done, pour it through a cheesecloth to remove any seeds, stems, or other plant material that may be left.
The longer your butter cooks, the more cannabinoids and terpenes get cooked out. Therefore, the longer you cook the butter, the sleepier the brownies will make you. For those who have insomnia, this isn’t a bad thing.
The process of making oil is similar to butter if you prefer it or if your brownie recipe calls for oil instead of butter.
- Begin by grinding ½ ounce of weed into a powder
- Spread the powder evenly into a frying pan
- Using the amount called for in the brownie recipe, pour vegetable oil over the marijuana
- Simmer on low for 2-6 hours
- Stir every half-hour
- Strain through a cheesecloth to remove excess plant material
Here is one of the easiest and most delicious recipes for edible pot brownies.
- 7 ½ T unsalted butter
- 1 ½ t cannabutter
- 6 oz dark chocolate
- 1 C flour
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 2 large room temperature eggs
- 1 C sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t salt
For best results and brownies’ that have a fudgy consistency, use dark chocolate made with 60-70% cacao. This is because the flavor of cocoa powder isn’t strong enough to balance out the taste of marijuana.
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Grease an 8-inch square cake pan
- Melt cannabutter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Mix with chocolate until smooth
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool for 5 minutes
- Whisk together flour and baking powder
- Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt until fluffy and light yellow
- Stir in chocolate mixture
- Add flour mixture and blend all together
- Pour batter into greased pan and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 12 even pieces.
Pot brownies can be served warm. In the event you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week. You can also leave this tasty treat in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Depending on your tolerance, an hour or two after eating a few brownies, you should feel euphoric, like you just smoked a joint. Bear in mind that if weed gives you munchies, it’s best to steer clear of edibles, including more brownies.
You can also make edible pot brownies using the cannabutter, as mentioned above, or cannabis-infused oil and a box brownie mix.