Using cannabidiol in combination with melatonin helps to solve the sleep problem that affects our productivity and quality of life. To ensure the effectiveness of this solution, you need to understand how to choose and where to buy CBD with melatonin. In this article, we will go into the matter.
- How Does CBD Help You Sleep?
- How Does Melatonin Help You Sleep?
- Why Are They Used Together?
- Is It Safe to Mix CBD with Melatonin?
- What Are the Recommended Doses?
- How to Buy the Right Product
- How to Choose between Tinctures, Capsules and Gummies
- Comparison of the Best Products
How Does CBD Help You Sleep?
Scientists claim that hemp-derived CBD, like all the major cannabinoids, has the ability to deal with poor sleep by addressing its causes, such as:
For example, CBD is known to help with anxiety disorders by regulating the levels of cortisol, a stress hormone that interferes with sleep. (1) It can also be used as an effective alternative to pain killers for those suffering from sleep disorders due to acute or chronic pains, providing noticeable results without sedative effect. (2) Even in severe cases such as nightmares and restlessness caused by REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD), cannabidiol provides patients with relief and sweet dreams. (3)
How Does Melatonin Help You Sleep?
Melatonin regulates the body’s internal clock, which called a circadian rhythm, that notifies us when it’s time to eat, sleep, or wake up. (4) It also interferes with your day-night eye cycles (5) and has the ability to lower the levels of another hormone, dopamine, which helps keep you awake. (6)
The use of melatonin allows you to fall asleep faster, but does not make your sleep deeper, and does not relieve you of nightmares and waking up in the middle of the night.
Why Are They Used Together?
CBD and melatonin are used together because despite the fact that both help you sleep, they actually work in different ways, not duplicating but complementing each other. While cannabidiol helps relax and promotes calmness thus improving sleep quality, melatonin regulates the sleep/wake cycle by telling the brain that its time to sleep. In other words, melatonin helps you fall asleep quickly, whereas CBD helps you get a restful sleep all through the night, so their combined use gives a stronger effect.
Is It Safe to Mix CBD with Melatonin?
Yes, it is safe, because CBD and melatonin do not interact in any way in the body and their combined use does not cause any side effects, except for those caused by the overdose. Mixing them does not threaten your health, nor does it affect the dosage you need to take or how these substances work.
What Are the Recommended Doses?
Cannabidiol can act in different ways on the human bodies, and its required amount depends on several factors, such as your weight, age, metabolism, and the cause of your sleep problems. In recent studies, scientists have concluded that taking 25 milligrams per day has a beneficial effect on sleep for most people. (7) It is important to note that CBD does not have an immediate effect—it requires regular intake and most users only feel improvement in sleep quality after about 3-4 weeks, so there is no need to increase the dose simply because you did not get the desired result in the first days of use.
Unlike cannabidiol, melatonin has an immediate effect, so it can be taken irregularly. You can take 10 or more milligrams at a time, which, however, is not recommended for long-term use, since side effects are possible. If you plan to take melatonin regularly, your single dose will depend on the type of your sleep disorder, but it should not exceed 3 mg. Recommended starting doses for adults are as follows:
|Sleep disorder||Melatonin daily dose|
|Jet lag||0.3 to 0.5 mg|
|Insomnia||0.1 mg to 0.5 mg|
|Shift-work sleep disorders||1.8 mg to 3 mg|
|Delayed sleep phase disorder||1.5 mg|
|Non-24-hour sleep wake disorder||0.5 mg|
If the indicated amount does not allow you to fall asleep quickly, you can increase the dose to 3 mg, and in some cases, up to 5 mg. CBD and melatonin supplements for sleep are generally recommended to be taken thirty minutes before bedtime.
How to Buy the Right Product
If you want to buy CBD with melatonin, it is important to consider the following:
- Dosages of both main components. You can read above how to choose the right ones.
- Additional components. The remedy can also include other sleep-promoting ingredients such as valerian root, passionflower, or GABA, for an even stronger effect.
- The type of CBD extract. The broad spectrum extract contains not only CBD, but other cannabinoids such as CBN and CBG, which will also improve your sleep. Almost all products on the market are THC-free, but it wouldn’t hurt to clarify this to avoid potential problems.
- Flavor. Many products also have flavorings added to make them not only useful, but also delicious. Choose the one that suits your taste.
How to Choose between Tinctures, Capsules and Gummies
Another important issue is the choice of dosage form. The most common now are tinctures, capsules and gummies. Let’s take a look at their pros and cons.
The advantages of tinctures are as follows:
- Fast action. When taken under the tongue, the tincture is absorbed directly through the membrane, therefore it acts quickly. It only takes about half an hour to feel its effects.
- Taste. Flavors are usually added to CBD tinctures, which gives them a pleasant taste and makes it possible to add them to a cup of tea, another drink or even food.
- Vegan-friendly. They contain only plant-based ingredients.
The disadvantages include:
- Inconvenience. You will need some time and a calm environment to measure the correct dose and avoid spilling, therefore they are not convenient to take on the go or when traveling.
The advantages and disadvantages of capsules are opposite:
- They are easy to use and do not spill, therefore preferred for travel.
- Capsules have no taste because they go straight into the stomach, bypassing the tongue where the taste buds are located.
- They are not vegan-friendly because their shells are made from animal-based gelatin.
- The CBD capsule kicks in later than the tincture because it takes time for the shell to dissolve in the stomach.
Recently, CBD gummies have become extremely popular. Their advantages are as follows:
- Taste. Just like in tinctures, various flavors are added to gummies. Chewing them allows you to enjoy the taste even longer.
- Vegan-friendly. They contain only herbal ingredients and, unlike capsules, do not have an animal-based gelatin shell.
- Convenience. As well as capsules, they are suitable for use on the go.
The disadvantages of CBD gummies include:
- Time. They kick in even later than capsules, because it takes time for the digestive system to break down the product, before its components enter the bloodstream and reach the brain.
Comparison of the Best Products
|Product||Size||CBD||Melatonin||Other ingredients||Flavors||Price||CBD per 1mL||Melatonin per 1mL||Price per 1mL|
|CBD PM Sleep Tincture||30 mL||500 mg||150 mg||valerian root, chamomile, cascade hops, passionflower, lemon balm||mint||$44.99||17 mg||5 mg||$1.50|
|SOL✿CBD Advanced Sleep Formula||30 ml||150 mg||no information||GABA, 5-HTP, valerian root, passionflower||orange-pineapple||$89||5 mg||no information||$2.96|
|NanoCraft Night Time CBD Oil||30 mL||300 mg||60 mg||passionflower, 5-HTP||lavender||$59.99||10 mg||2 mg||$2|
|Product||Count||CBD||Melatonin||Other ingredients||Flavors||Price||CBD per capsule||Melatonin per capsule||Price per capsule|
|CBD PM Softgel Capsules||30||500 mg||90 mg||valerian root, chamomile, cascade hops, passionflower, lemon balm||no||$44.99||17 mg||3 mg||$1.50|
|CBD Softgels with Melatonin for Sleep||30||750 mg||30 mg||roman chamomile||no||$89.95||25 mg||1 mg||$3.00|
|Elixinol Good Night Capsules||60||900 mg||120 mg||no||no||$64.99||15 mg||2 mg||$1.08|
|NanoCraft CBD Softgel Capsules with Melatonin||30||750 mg||30 mg||no||no||$84.99||25 mg||1 mg||$2.83|
|Product||Count||CBD||Melatonin||Other ingredients||Flavors||Price||CBD per gummy||Melatonin per gummy||Price per gummy|
|CBDfx Gummies for Sleep||60||300 mg||150 mg||passionflower, chamomile, lemon balm||lemon||$49.99||5 mg||2.5 mg||$0.83|
|Medterra CBD Gummies Sleep Tight||30||750 mg||90 mg||lemon balm, chamomile, l-theanine, passionflower, 5-HTP||strawberry||$39.99||25 mg||3 mg||$1.33|
|CBD Nighttime Gummies||25||750 mg||37.5 mg||no||raspberry-lemon, raspberry and strawberry||$55.00||30 mg||1.5 mg||$2.20|
|CBD Gummies: Sleep||60||600 mg||180 mg||no||raspberry||$44.99||10 mg||3 mg||$0.75|